Monday, November 16, 2009

Virtual Pain

This virtual world of technology isn't always so great. Sometimes, one would like a more material and physical world so that when an item malfunctions it can be thrown, kicked, and smashed to smithereens (after trying to fix it and becoming frustrated by those attempts).

I read once that some Hebrew scholars consider the way we scroll on a computer akin to unrolling toilet paper. Lately, I tend to agree. But I can't go drape it around the Windows Media people's house because there's nothing to show after I've unscrolled a page.

Enough of this. When the going gets tough the tough get going back to their old ways.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been there for a while now. No tv, no internet, local radio stations, and real, touchable books and paper to write on.

"troche"

Robert Bard Burns said...

Good for you. But you DID manage to escape from the real world for a moment to leave me a word hunt.

Troche. My first instinct was that this was a musical word, but I was wrong. It's a circular word. It's a good word, a usable word.

It seems that some pronounce it "troshe," but that sounds like an affected way of saying "trash."


"Dahling, would you puhleeze take out the troshe?"

Troche's been all over the place, Middle English (trocis), Old French, Late Latin(add on an "cus" and it's Latin, much as "ich" makes a name eastern European: Burns[ich] voila!), Greek (trokhos), and is modernly used to refer to a round pill.

Trokhos - wheel. This excellent little word has rolled across the western world, and I am still not convinced that it is not a musical term.

1)"bific" I'm thinking of a guy named Biff on the Pacific Ocean.

2)"oventick"