Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Toto, who's behind the telescreen?


The Wizard of Oz will return to the Big Screen September 23. But, there is always that big butt, the company putting on the event won't display the theatres until one clicks the "buy ticket" button. And because I am naturally skeptical I won't click the button to find out if it's showing anywhere near me. For all I know, that one click could access my account and get me a ticket for New York City.

I finished my reread of George Orwell's 1984, since the Kindle brouhaha rekindled my desire to read it. It puts that overly referred to piece of poor writing and thinking by Aldous Huxley to shame. When will Amazon delete Brave New World from the Kindle? I surely wouldn't cry over that. Ascetics flagellating themselves near lighthouses have never impressed me.

"The Party seeks power entirely for its own sake. We are not interested in the good of others; we are interested solely in power. Not wealth or luxury or long life or happiness; only power, pure power." 1984

"Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the revolution." 1984

It was 1949 when 1984 was first published, and here we are! Telescreens everywhere. How was Orwell able to see so clearly?

Remember, when you look out a window that others may be looking in at you. Big Brother is a natural peeping tom.

No comments: