Friday, September 18, 2009

Time's Glass


"I'm frightened, Auntie Em; I'm frightened," says Dorothy as she awaits her demise in the Wicked Witch of the West's castle.

The red sands of the hourglass are running out.

"New evidence is suggesting that time is slowly disappearing from our universe, and will one day vanish completely" ("New Theory Nixes 'Dark Energy': Says Time is Disappearing from the Universe," 13 Sep. 2009, www. dailygalaxy.com).

I knew it. This explains a lot. The reason I don't have enough time to accomplish what I'd like is because time is running out.

Professor Jose Senovilla of Spain, along with esteemed colleagues is proposing "that there is no such thing as dark energy at all, and we're looking at things backwards. Senovilla proposes that we have been fooled into thinking the expansion of the universe is accelerating, when in reality, time itself is slowing down" ("New Theory")

"[P]rof Senovilla says, the appearance of acceleration is caused by time itself gradually slowing down, like a clock with a run-down battery" ("New Theory")

Toto and I learned awhile ago that we're looking at things backwards. We're always looking backwards. It's part of being human. It's called history and memory.

I think that what the scientist may mean is that we're looking at things upside down. This earth is upside down. We like to reverse the divine order and fool ourselves that it is right side up.

I discovered long ago that things such as the Great Pyramids of Egypt are upside down. Really, they should be balanced upon their tips, but because we live in a reflection, they are balanced on their widest part, rather than on the tip as the originals are.

We only believe we are rightside up because gravity allows us that privilege.

What happens when time runs out?

And by the way, have you heard of the Wizard of Oz Experiment?

Coincidentally, I was wondering who is behind the computer curtain, then forgot about my musings until I came across this.

In the Wizard of Oz Experiment a person is lead to believe that they are interacting with an autonomous computer. In reality there is a "wizard," a human controlling things and interacting with the user.

And why is it that since a very esteemed personage came to town people have been joking about their computers and telephones behaving oddly?

Who is behind the curtain?

Well, I am Dorothy, the Meek and Small, and it's my billowing bale of hay, my cowardly carnivore, rattling can, and puppy in a picnic basket that melt the green one, not a Kansan with a hot air balloon. And it wasn't a dream, old pal, Hunk.

No comments: