Thursday, June 17, 2010

The Cell Phone, A Mindless Drug Addiction

About those cell phones. I don't have one. I'm the last person alive that doesn't have one. I'm young and somehow survive without a phone pestering, festering, and twitching in my pocket, or glowing in dark places.

I've found it nice not having a cell phone because I don't have to politely record the numbers of everyone I meet in a database, and it is nice to see the repulsed reactions when others can't have my number. For some odd reason they no longer want my number when I tell them it's a land line and I can't drag it around with me everywhere I go, thus preventing people from "following" me like digital balls and chains as I travel along my daily path.

Anyway, about those cell phones. When I see how imprisoned, addicted, inconsiderate and impolite they make people I become even more staunchly anti-cell phone.

The other night, while out and about on the town, catching a couple of traveling bands I encountered another dazed and inconsiderate cell phone user. It was a fairly slow night, as the smoking ban has destroyed life and the ability to shake a leg. I was doing my best to show some appreciation, standing/dancing up near the front of the stage. I turned around and right behind me was the glow of an unhinged phone, mesmerizing its owner. I couldn't believe it. I was as shocked as a non smoker in a non-smoking venue would have been if someone had lit up a cigarette, disregarding everyone else and their health. I wanted to swat that phone to the ground and tell them to stare at their cell phone somewhere else where they didn't infringe on others.

One does NOT stand near the front of the stage when a band has traveled all day to play for them. The only time that cell phone should come out is to take pictures of the event. But no, this person was standing there staring at their phone while the band could see them. It was a blatant insult, as if to say to the band, "You're so boring and terrible that I'd rather stand here and stare at my phone right in front of your face." Truly, I couldn't believe how inconsiderate and unappreciative this behavior appeared.

If a call must be taken or made, one really needs to treat their cell phone the exact same way a tobacco user treats tobacco use in certain environments. One should remove themselves to a polite location and use their cell phone where it will not appear rude, demean others, ignore them, or infringe on them.

Truly, the cell phone has become a kind of harassment device and mini prison, and people seem to enjoy this. One person I know met a girl last week-end. They don't even know each other, having spent only one evening out with friends. The girl has called and texted every single day since this meeting even though a date is scheduled for this next week-end. I asked my friend if they actually like this and think it normal, and doesn't it appear a bit desperate on the girl's part?

It never occurred to my friend that this was abnormal since everyone does it. I can't imagine what kind of girl thinks it's normal to text and call a guy every day, especially when they've only just met and there's nothing to fear, since a date is already a sure thing. And who wants to be with someone that harasses them every day after having met once? What kind of relationship would that be? It would be more akin to ownership, or possession, having a person constantly reminding another that they're checking on them because they "care" and are so obsessed, insecure, and boring that they have nothing better to do.

The cell phone is basically a monitoring device, a palm prison. It's an insecurity device. People use to go smoke a cigarette when they got nervous and insecure thoughts about another person that they couldn't be with at the moment. Now, people text and call to remind everyone else that they exist and can't stop thinking about them. How nice. People call to remind others of their existence, and they check their phones to remind themselves that someone cared enough about them to harass them that day. How nice and kind.

Parents use the cell phone to keep tabs on their kids and to make themselves feel safer about their kids because the kids will have a list of numbers to call and harass for help all day. It's a digital umbilical cord. The kids won't cut it because they're addicted and don't know any better. Mom and Dad use the cell phone as a tool of punishment, taking it away when the kid has misused it or gotten into trouble. And the kid is an addict, goes through withdrawal, can't live without knowing who has thought of them that day, what mindless gossip they've been left out of, etc. and begs for its return so that they can get their fix.

The cell phone is like any other addictive thing and should be used responsibly, not as a crutch for insecurity or to bother others. It's not a brain, it's not a soul, although people treat it this way. When lighting up your cell phone, please be considerate of those around you, lest you contaminate the air around you, souring people on your social inability. If smoke-free air is a right, then so is cell-phone free air. Take it outside and pace.

There are non-cell phone users like me that would like to take your cell phone and break in half like a cigarette.

Oh, and by the by, while you're staring at the glow of your security crutch, not socializing with anyone near you, we tobacco smokers are out in the rain socializing and meeting real physical people that we can touch and see. You can have your virtual love, we've got the real thing--even in the rain or in 40 degrees below zero. You've got your phone on a cold night while the tobacco users have each other.

No comments: